authormaphipps

M. A. Phipps

Honorary Brit. Fiction Addict. Author.

Gone Girl

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn I really struggled to decide what I should rate this book. On the one hand, it is immensely well written and gripping. On the other hand, I hate stories where I don't root for anyone. In the beginning, Amy comes off as the sympathetic character and you really start to dislike Nick, feeling that he's the one to blame for everything even if he didn't kill her. Still, when we find out the truth about Amy (I already knew since I saw the film first. The book was far better than the film although the film followed it pretty exactly. Some stories are best in book form I guess!) you realize "Well, shit. She's no better than he is. She's even worse." But knowing that doesn't make you like him any more than you did before because at the end of the day, he's still a terrible human being. Overall though, I really enjoyed it. It was thrilling, had a great narrative, and it was entertaining to see the story from both protagonists' point of view. At the end of the day, however, not liking either character (and ultimately, the ending) are what stopped me from loving this book and left me at only liking it.